Wednesday, December 9, 2009

Remembering...

We always take time to visit and remember some of our ancestors whenever we visit Wisconsin...

We mainly go to see Papa's true love, and my Gramma, Patricia Jean, who died back in 2003. It's sort of a tradition that, most likely, my grandmother would think we were crazy for keeping up. She always said "when you're dead, you're dead. That's it." She would also probably remind us that she isn't really there in that cemetery, and we are crazy to come out in the cold. Of course, she isn't here to tell us any of that...and, really, cemeteries and the like aren't really for the dead anyhow.



We also stop by to say hello to a few other Schreiers. Anna and William, Papa's parents and my great grandparents, and Herman Papa's brother, my great uncle. I didn't get a chance to know Anna and William, but I did know Uncle Herm back when I was young.



Of course the boys don't know where we are or why we are there, they only know it's a great place to climb and run around. But they will have the photos later in life, and, in a way, they got to "meet" some of their ancestors.



"If you look deeply into the palm of your hand, you will see your parents and all generations of your ancestors.
All of them are alive in this moment.
Each is present in your body.
You are the continuation of each of these people.”
~ Thich Nhat Hanh


No comments: