Friday, February 12, 2010

It's Carnaval time in Tenerife!!


Yep, it's that time of year again....it is Carnaval time in Spain. As you might remember from my post last year, the celebrations here in Santa Cruz are second only to the world famous Carnaval in Rio de Janerio. Even Wikipedia has a lot to say about the fiesta here in Tenerife. This year's original theme was "La Historia de la Hunanidad," or the ‘The History of Humanity,' but was changed to "Tenerife, story of a carnival." They almost changed the poster too, but decided to keep it in the end. (I could speculate as to why, but I'm not entirely sure...so I won't.)

There are lots of contests, fiestas, concerts, pageants, etc. that take place during Carnaval, but we pretty much just check out the things we can reasonably bring the boys to...I know, maybe not as exciting and glamorous, but we are "old" boring parents now...so take what you can get. I will try and do better about posting this year, especially about the daytime parade which is next Tuesday.

Tomorrow we have a chance to see the elected queen and her consort, and, so far, we are planning on doing that as well. We might also check out the antique car procession next Sunday...other than that, I'm not sure what else we will attend, but I'll let you know.

Oh, and my cousin, Alise, will be here visiting us starting Tuesday so we will (no doubt) have lots of excursions and whatnot to post about...maybe not in the most timely fashion, but I'll get around to everything as soon as possible.

Anyhow, today the boy's school had their own official kickoff party for Carnaval. The kids were just too cute and Alex and Connor did an excellent job of parading, singing, and dancing. It was hard to get good photos without them seeing us, and most of my videos turned out really shaky, but, take a look, and see what you think of our sweet little bugs:

1 comment:

Cynthia L. Edwards said...

The boys are so cute. It looks like they were having big fun, too.