Tuesday, March 10, 2009

Sun, Paci's & Fun!!

"The first day of spring is one thing, and the first spring day is another. The difference between them is sometimes
as great as a month." ~Henry Van Dyke

Well, after countless days with gray and/or rainy skies, and the coldest Canary winter in 36 years, we had a beautiful Spring-like day today. It was sunny, clear and almost 68 degrees. It even smelled like Spring! Tomorrow promises to be the same which is good for a Wandering Wednesday.

Today though, we didn't have a chance to do much. I was in my Spanish class all morning, then it was a terrible nap time for the boys, then lunch, then Jaime had to pick up our nephew from school, and then, finally, we headed out to Santa Cruz to see Lela and to be outside for a little while.

For some reason the boys decided that they didn't want to take a nap today. They acted like they were going to sleep, but then just kept goofing around in their cribs... until the goofing around turned into crying... which then turned into screaming. Nothing we did seemed to calm them, so they cried and cried until, one and a half hours later, Connor finally fell asleep even though Alex was still crying. We took Alex out of his room and let Connor sleep for about 30 minutes. Alex was still unsettled and crying until Jaime played with some toys to distract him. It was at that moment we decided to take away the Paci's tonight. We weren't planning to start until later in the week, but we figured that they would be super tired tonight and that might just work in our favor.

Around 5:30 we drove into the City (no surprise Alex took a little catnap in the way) and enjoyed a walk around town and a small snack before taking the boys back home.

We got the boys ready for bed: PJ's on, teeth brushed, nightlights plugged in, snugglies in hand, and then...Alex asked for his Paci. We told them the Paci's went "bye-bye" and were now "all gone." Alex didn't seem very sure about that at first and had to feel the top of the dresser where the Paci's usually are. Then he started saying "bye-bye, bye-bye, bye-bye" over and over and over again while waving his hand. Connor seemed to be a little bit more quietly distressed and unsettled although we weren't sure if that was because of the missing Paci or because of his terrible nap time experience. After about 40 minutes with them, we left them quietly resting in their beds. Connor woke up about an hour later, we calmed him down, and he fell back to sleep. So far... not too bad. We will see how the night goes, and somehow I suspect they aren't going to just forget about their Paci's by morning... but you never know. We plan to get out of the house before nap time and tire them out and then do the same in the afternoon. Since it's suppose to be a beautiful day and all...

So, unrelated to the Paci saga, here are a couple videos for your enjoyment. The first one is a little fun we all had after dinner time with the medicine syringes. The strangest things crack our boys up, especially when it's close to bed time. The second video is Alex playing with the "presents" I brought home for them after meeting a friend for lunch. The boys have a lot of fun playing with balloons and I thought they would really like these giant ones. I was right, and now I have to go buy more. See if you can keep from smiling as you watch...

"Take time every day to do something ridiculous."
~ Philipa Walker

1 comment:

Amy said...

Alex's laugh is soooo adorable!!!! Love it!

Glad you are finally getting some nicer weather. I hope the paci situation is continuing to go well! ;)